Saturday, October 11, 2008

Victor


I thought I would take the time to introduce you to Victor. Our family is quickly becoming attached to this 9 year old boy and his 14 year old cousin, Gwakman. Victor reminds me of a young male, Nigerian version of Camille: very charming, very bright, talkative, and precocious. He wanders over to our house daily to visit us as well as enjoy some of the things that you see pictured on the table, very luxurious things at that: clean, tasty water; high quality English books, and best of all plentiful food! In addition to these items, he is always hopeful of getting a chance at playing electronics which he has to work for in the form of reading English for 20 minutes (by Emily’s orders!)

This Saturday morning, Victor was at our door with his bright smile at 7am. Good thing we are always up around 5am! He came to retrieve a forgotten item from the movie night before. There is always a little hopeful look in his eyes . . . I can’t blame him since he usually only gets one meal a day. I promptly told him to go around to the back patio which is just outside my kitchen door. While I got busy in the kitchen with breakfast dishes, Victor enjoyed his peanut butter sandwich and water, happily chattering my ear off.

Today’s topic was school. Victor really likes school except for when the teachers beat him with a bamboo cane! Not just him, but all the students! This is an accepted form of discipline in Nigeria. Forgot your homework? Made a failing grade? Disrespectful behaviour? There is one solution for all. (No wonder my students at the seminary treat me with such respect!) Victor would like to be either a doctor or an agricultural scientist so he can feed lots of people. He makes very good marks in school and also speaks three languages: Tarok, Hausa, and English. We have great hopes for this little boy who has captured our hearts.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Yay Victor!!! Such an awesome picture.