Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 8 of our African Adventure!

Today was the eight day mark for our time in Nigeria. It has been a fast eight days. Every day since we came here we’ve done something. I think part of the reason the days have just flown by is because we still lack routine, so the days aren’t as defined as they’ll be once school starts… which is TOMORROW! I still can’t get over that. This summer was too short. It will be nice when I have a really long summer next year though. Especially since it will be the summer between highschool and college. I’m sure I’ll need the time.

But yes, getting back to Nigeria and what’s happening here, things have started to be more consistent… or I’m getting used to the inconsistency. One of the two. But either way, it is starting to feel like home here. We have power most of the time, almost clean cold water, and increasingly clear hot water. And my bedroom is starting to be mine. The walls are still pretty bare and it there aren’t many decorations that are mine, but I think I’ve adopted what is there as my own and now it’s starting to be more like home. The friends that I have been making here have been helping with that also. I’ve spent a lot of time with Caroline Carlson since we got here and I can see us getting to be really good friends.

In more exciting news, school starts tomorrow! Senior year! Whoot whoot! The Samsons (our very helpful and extraordinarily kind neighbors) are coming over at 7:30 to show us the “bus stop” for the morning carpool to the hillcrest compound. There will be a lot of us in there. It sounds like the van that is taking us will be completely full. Plus me and Sterling will be doing sports and staying on the compound after school so I’m sure I’ll get the chance to hang with some of the girls in my class.

Oh and there is actually a cute story that goes with the picture that I'm posting with the blogs. This morning, Sterling was kicking a soccer ball around while he was waiting for his ride to the Hillcrest compound to get here. Outside of our gate there was a crowd of little Nigerian kids just watching. So after a little Sterling saw the kids and asked them if they wanted to play at which they all said yes and started bouncing around because they were so happy. But anyways, my mom, Emily, and I were all inside at the time and we saw them so we took a picture. It was too cute.

So, yes. Life here thus far has been very exciting and I can’t wait because I know it will get even better.

~Hannah, 17

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hannah,

We love reading all the blogs, we log on every day, sometimes several times a day. Good luck at school tomorrow. We wish all of you the best.
Love,
Shirley and Opa