Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fun Times in Jos


The past couple of weeks have been hard for me. Hillcrest is not the school that I was expecting it to be. Even though I am not having the greatest experience I still feel that I need to be here. I am friends with a guy name Gabe Dvorak who does not want to be here at all. Most of my time at school is spent hanging out with him. His parents have already come to my parents and thanked them for me being friends with Gabe. They are able to get more work done knowing that he is happier and has someone to be his friend.
There are great things about being in Jos. Since there are not a lot of kids around and it is a missionary community it is quite easy to get a group of friends together for a night of video games and food. Every Friday night there is something going on. I missed out on last night’s fun because I was sick but in the short time that has passed since then I have gotten better. We also have a bunch of Nigerian children that have found us to be a great source of entertainment. Whenever we drive by the Nigerian homes on the way to our house on our compound there is a small crowd of little children that chases our car down the road to our house and waits for us to come out and play with them. When we do go out to play with them we bring out paper and crayons so that they can draw or we bring out a soccer ball (which is their favorite) for them to play with. Soccer is the game that we can all play with them. They do not care as much about winning or scoring goals but it is just simply the playing that they love. It is a joy to spend time with these kids. For Hannah, me, and Camille they are our link to real Nigerian life. Because of the fact that we have to attend school during the day we do not get to spend much time with the average Nigerian kids. It is nice to be able to learn about Nigerian culture by spending time with kids that live here and are not a part of the missionary community here in Jos.

Sterling (15)

No comments: