Sunday, April 26, 2009

Junior Senior Banquet




So this weekend was the junior senior banquet at Hillcrest. The banquet is sort of a prom equivalent, but banquet is a lot classier than the prom I went to. Every year the 11th grade students put it together as sort of a farewell gesture to the graduating class. They get one of the nicer restaurants in town to cater it and have some of the underclassmen serve everyone. Everyone dresses up really nice and spends quite a bit of time getting ready for it.

Now that you have the background, I can tell you my person experience with the banquet. Gabe, my boyfriend, asked me with a song a few weeks ago; so we went as a couple. Mr. Cunningham, one of the teachers at Hillcrest, is a chaperone for the event and asked Emily to go with him. Sterling was recruited as a server. The three eldest of the Mitchell kids ended up being at the event.

I actually spent two nights away from home because the banquet is on a Friday. I spent Thursday night at the house of Penelope Tait, one of my friends from school. We did as much towards getting ready as we could. That included nails and straightening Penny’s hair. She has really curly hair so it was quite an ordeal, but it turned out really nice. The next day we only had a half day at school to give everyone time to get ready. After school I went with a group of girls to go out to eat for lunch and then we got ready together.

The banquet itself was really cool. The junior class had made it a Hollywood theme and had gone to great lengths to make everything perfect. They even had a red carpet and a Hollywood sign, and that was just the outside. The inside looked like the Oscars. I couldn’t believe that I was still in Nigeria. Each person had a seat reserved for them. At the end of the night there was even an awards ceremony at which every senior got a little golden person for either they’re participation in the senior play or their participation in sports. After the actual banquet was over all the juniors and seniors went to the Niger Creek hostel for the after party that lasted all night. It was a really cool experience.



No comments: