Friday, November 28, 2008

Riots In Jos

Today is my sixteenth birthday and unfortunately we have school off for the day. Election Day was yesterday and the results came out the opposite of what the Muslims wanted. Consequently there is rioting everywhere in the city. My parents and Emily are off at a medical meeting near Lagos so I am staying on the same compound that I usually do but with my friend Jacob Naatz. We went out into the football field in front of our house and we could see large pillars of smoke coming up from fires in various places of the city and all the while gunshots were going off from all around. The fires and gunshots all seem to be a mile or so away but the danger is still there. As my friend Jacob says “Since we don’t have ‘snow days’ here we have to make up for it with ‘riot days’.”

Sterling (16 as of today!!!!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you. Just got a call from my family about the riots but could not find anything online...except your post. I pray you stay safe. We have traded places. You are in my home and am in yours. Other than the riots I hope you've found Jos a beautiful place to live...except for the water wahala and other irritants. May God bless you and protect you. E-man.

Steve said...

Sterling, We are praying for you all!