Thursday, November 13, 2008

To Market, To Market



My driver! Because he is from the old school in Nigeria, he has many notions that, no matter how hard we try, we cannot convince him to abandon. One of those notions is that the oga (boss), especially if they are bature oga, are not allowed to carry packages! It doesn’t matter how laden down he is and how empty my hands are, he refuses to let me carry anything. (Okay, he doesn’t fight me too much on not carrying my purse.) Today, as we left the crowded street and ducked into a dark passageway to another part of the market, I decided it was a Kodak moment. . .Alphonsus’ hands full with the market in the background.

I go shopping only once a week or so. I like to see what new produce might be available and buy the import items that my driver would die of a heart attack from when paying the final bill. Alphonsus does all my shopping, and he shops almost every day. This weekend we are hosting two large dinners, one for our new friends the Chamis (featured in an earlier blog) and the other for our monthly compound missionary dinner and fellowship. Because shopping takes so long and because availability isn’t always consistent, you have to start shopping several days in advance.

Nigerians don’t always like to have their picture taken. However, because I had just bought a pile of beef from the butcher, I thought he would accommodate me. He looked a little confused when this bature lady asked if I could “snap” him. His confusion turned to elation when I told him that I wanted to send his picture to America! Despite all the shouts from the women on either side of him who were afraid of what might happen to him when his likeness was trapped inside my camera, he agreed. I thought you might enjoy seeing the butcher I go to weekly (the fly-infested meat that I buy,too) and seeing the market in the background.
Lisa

1 comment:

K Blair said...

Hey ya'll~ I love,love,love your portraits of life over there as it is through your. Thank you SO much for taking the time to write. Please keep the blog a comin'!!!! Miss you,Lisa. Pray for all of you every day!!!