Friday, May 1, 2009

Final Honor's Recital



Last night was the final honor’s recital at Hillcrest: an evening featuring the jazz music of George Gershwin and others. The event was just as elegant and classy as the first one last semester. Heidi Tolar, the Hillcrest teacher and wife of Coach Jay Tolar, did an outstanding job organizing and decorating for the event. She was also a participant herself, playing several piano pieces very well.

I haven’t said much about my other teaching position. I teach brass players at Hillcrest School on Thursdays. I have prepared and performed pieces a couple of times now with highschoolers, Heather Ardill on trumpet and Jessica Strydhorst on trombone. Once a week, I also teach the middle school trumpet players, and we are working on an ensemble piece for seven players right now. I can hardly wait to perform a Renaissance piece by Gabrielli at the final concert next month!

Never did I think when I was practicing and competing on trumpet in high school that I would be teaching young trumpet players one day in Africa!

No comments: