Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Tense Ending to a Sweet Year




No, not tense in the way you think . . .today was my last regular class day at JETS, and we finished out the year discussing grammar tenses. It was a fun class where the students shared some of their habits and regular activities (you use simple present tense to talk about those things as well as to express general statements or truths.) I learned all sorts of new things about my students as they shared using the present tense: many love to read, many of them pray regularly (which isn’t too surprising since they are seminary students), one thinks about a certain girl named Nancy all the time, and my student who cannot hear even told us that he eats gwata everyday! (Gwata is a vegetable soup thickened with grits.) I also learned a Nigerian proverb as one student shared a truth that uses present tense: When lizards lie prostrate on the ground, how do you know which ones’ belly is aching? (Hmmm . . .I think something got lost in translation on that one.) It was a great last day of class!

We ended our class time together with a photo session. Included you will see pictures of both my first hour class and my second hour class. Also included is a picture of Nehemiah and Kingsley, two students who kept me on my toes with LOTS of questions!

Even if I should come back and teach in Nigeria 40 more years, these students will always have a very special place in my heart. I am going to miss their warmth, their sincerity, their friendliness, and their ability to enjoy each moment to the fullest. My students have treated me with such respect and gratitude for every little thing I do. Though the living conditions here are hard by American standards, the joy that comes from teaching and interacting with my students far outweighs having no water, inconsistent electricity, and no air conditioning.

Lisa

1 comment:

Steve said...

I'm sorry for your having to say goodbye to your students, but can't wait to see you guys upon your return!