Tuesday, September 23, 2008

JETS




As I ponder how to answer the latest question, forty faces look back at me expectantly in silence. I begin writing in response and behind me instantly I hear the scritch scratch of pens as my students diligently copy down every word and mark I write. This is typical of every class that I have taught so far at JETS (Jos Evangelical Theological Seminary.) These first year pastoral students are very eager to fill the gaps missing in their English which may be their second, third, or even fourth language. English is the official language of Nigeria. It unites the several hundred different dialects spoken across the country and provides a language for government, business, and even the Church.

Many of my 37 male students and 3 female students are from the bush. They have come to one of the most prestigious seminaries in Nigeria and will study for 2-3 years before returning to their homes to be pastors and leaders in their communities. Initially, their greater understanding of the English language and its structure is preparing them for learning Greek in their second year of seminary. Their knowing English also enables them to communicate with church members and potential converts from outside their tribe. It also enables them to communicate with other missionaries as well as be able to read textbooks and articles published to further their theological education.

There are two things I love about my new job: my wonderful students who are exuberant about their faith and so appreciative of the time I spend with them, and my delightful colleague, Abigail Hunt. Abi was singlehandedly teaching a class of 80 students before I was recruited to split the class with her. We now each have our own class of 40. I really appreciate the time she is spending with me helping me to know what to teach and looking over my shoulder a bit to make sure things are going well. I couldn’t have asked for more . . .a lovely Nigerian sister in Christ to fellowship with and exchange teaching ideas and tips with. Abi is also enjoying looking at the materials I brought from the US; quality, current materials are in short supply here. I do not even have a class set of books to refer to. One whiteboard is all I have, so much of the class time is spent calling out or writing (and erasing) the board. I have had several students approach me and ask about my nice grammar workbook that I refer to often in the classroom. Unfortunately, it costs more than half a month’s wages for them. An impossible sum for most of them and certainly for the school to provide!

I look forward to each Tuesday and Thursday morning that I get to spend with these future leaders of Nigeria!

1 comment:

Steve said...

Lisa- sounds like an incredible impact you are having there for Nigeria! I'm praying for you all.-Steve