Sunday, September 7, 2008

Slowing Down in Nigeria


Things have pretty much settled down, and the general pace of life has slowed immensely. It hasn’t gotten any less interesting though. Dinners are now filled with the sharing of the hilarious events of the day. We tell about the crazy things achaba drivers do and the things they transport (Emily saw an achaba that was carrying the driver, a passenger, and two goats.), the funny stories of what friends do during school (Sterling had an eyebrow wiggling contest with another student), and interesting (or disgusting, depending on the way you view it) cases that dad and Emily see in the hospital. I have also observed that many of the habits our family had back in the States have helped us adjust more keenly to life in Jos. First of all, being late is somewhat expected. Church “starts” at nine o’clock, but nobody shows up until nine-thirty. Also, mom’s talent for getting bargains has come in handy quite a lot in the market.
School is… different. Some of the classes are not as advanced as what I am accustomed to, and classes are a bit boring for me at times. On the other hand I have officially befriended every girl in my grade. They’re all very nice and at least 60% of them have a sense of humor! It’s kind of funny, but the Nigerian girls seem to have similar personalities to the friends I had back in America.
I’ve officially taken up the role of hostess, as I am now sharing my room with a surgical resident from San Diego for the next three to four weeks. Her name is Shannon, and she was going to have to sleep on a couch in the STA quarters because it was getting so crowded over there, but dad stepped in and asked if she would like to live with us. At first, I was kind of bummed. I’d just gotten into a routine, and now I was going to have to tweak it for the convenience of this stranger. I really don’t mind anymore. She’s very nice and extremely cool. She’s young enough to understand how I work, and I enjoy talking to her.
All of these things have come together to create an enjoyably relaxed atmosphere, and I often find myself in that peaceful, Sunday afternoon mood. Love you all!
Camille, 13

No comments: