Friday, September 12, 2008

A New Routine in Nigeria


I don’t know which wakes me up first each morning: the sound of our two ferocious Dachshund guard dogs barking at the neighbors as they rouse, the distant high-pitched beeps of the achabas (motorcycle taxis), or the Nigerian radio music that is floating over the fields in through our open windows. Before sunrise I roll out of bed, remembering to turn on the hot water heater so I can have warm water for showering, before I head off to the kitchen. I immediately start a load of laundry in the washer since it will take a couple of hours to finish. Maybe today I can squeeze three loads of laundry out of my machine that holds about a third of my machine at home. I turn on the water pump to fill up the outside tank so we will have adequate water flowing into the house. The tricky thing is to remember to turn it off. Then finally I fill the indoor water filtering system so we will have plenty of drinking water for breakfast.

One of the wonderful advantages of having to cook each meal every day is that two or three times a day our family is gathered around the table. After a nice breakfast courtesy of our morning cook Emily, everyone races off their separate ways. I am left to rinse the dishes and begin filling out marching orders. I consult with Zaineb to plan out a menu since she is my expert on local ingredients and their availability and correct price. Alphonsus is sent off to the market with a list and a close estimate of the cost involved. What I do in about 45 minutes in America will take him literally hours with every item bartered for. Because everything is on a cash basis here, I must carefully count out the money and send him on his way. Then Zaineb and Asibe (our latest helper who is a widow supporting four children at home), get their instructions. Finally, I can start my day.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays starting next week from 9:30am-10:45am, I will begin teaching an English class at the Jos Evangelical Theological Seminary (JETS.) Abigail Hunt, a Nigerian teacher with many years of experience, was singlehandedly teaching a class of 75+ first year students. We are going to split the class and work together to get the job done. I will very much appreciate her experience and guidance, her knowledge of the customs and the seminary, and her very sweet personality. I am nervous and excited all at the same time as I take on my first official English class with two thirds of my masters completed. I’m sure I will have many stories in the future to update you with! The picture included was my first day on the JETS campus. I will be wearing Nigerian clothes regularly. I look forward to helping these future pastors and Bible teachers improve their English speaking, reading, and writing as well as fellowshipping with these dear brothers and sisters in Christ.

Fridays are my day at Hillcrest School. I am the local trumpet/brass expert and am teaching music three periods over the course of the day. The high schoolers, middle schoolers , and the sixth graders are a lot of fun to work with and really appreciate the extra attention they are getting. On November 7th, there is going to be an Honors recital. I am helping several of the kids get ready for this recital. I will be thrilled if by the end of the year we are making some beautiful music together!

My schedule is picking up, and I am really enjoying being out and about and interacting with the Nigerian people and the missionary kids. Oops! Time to turn the outside water pump off!


Lisa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow--what an experience and a busy day. I like your dress--very pretty--did you make it?
I am gald that you are finally going to be able to teach Eng. and great with the music too.

Much love Shirley and Dad

Missionary Mary said...

HI Lisa! Great blog! I love the dress! I am very excited for you teaching your first English class there - I know you'll do a wonderful job and they will love you! Take care and see you later!
Mary

Anonymous said...

You get to teach music! That is so exciting. I would so be a missionary if I got to teach music. I don't think I'd be patient enough to teach anything else. What you're doing over there with English and music is amazing!

Shelby Thomas (Hannah's Friend the trumpet player)